Dr. Maryam Matar, MD
- Dr. Maryam Matar has been selected as The International Alliance for Women (TIAW) World of Difference 100 Award recipient 2015 under the Public Service/Government Category, for her contributed to the economic & Science empowerment of women.
- In 2015, Dr. Maryam Matar received an Achievers Award as one of the most
powerful women in Middle East and first woman in genetic research field &
CSR by UNASCO- UAE.
- World Leadership Congress and Awards has awarded Dr. Maryam Matar as
"Young Achiever Award in 2015.
- The U.S. Department of State honored Dr. Maryam as an outstanding woman
in science throughout the Middle East North Africa region, for year 2015,
within ten exceptional women in scientific fields of the Middle East and North
Africa, for her outstanding scientific achievements, professional
accomplishments and ability to motivate and inspire young women to pursue
- 2015: Dr. Maryam Matar selected among the 100 most powerful Arab under
40, has been ranked 33 of the list of "100 most powerful Arab under 40" in
Science launched by the magazine "Arabian Business" in April 2015.
- 2014: The International Alternative Investment Review (IAIR) magazine has
awarded Dr. Mariam Matar the prestigious title of the IAIR AWARDS(R) -
Woman of the Year" - supporting from the European Commission
- As well as she Voted "Woman of the Year 2014" Humanitarian award by
Emirates Woman Magazine.
- Dr. Mariam Matar presented as "the Most Inspirational Speaker" in her
participation in SME BEYOND BORDERS – Global Models for Success on 30th
December 2014 by CPI Media Group.
- 2014: Dr. Mariam Matar selected among the Muslim-Science.Com's List of
Twenty Most Influential Women in Science in the World.
- Also she has been selected as one of CEO Middle East magazine's 100 Most
Powerful Arab Women and she ranked 41 among the 100 most powerful Arab
- Chosen Dr. Mariam Matar by Gulf Medical Universityto be the 'Heroes of
Healthcare International' on 13 03 2013
- 2013: Dr. Mariam Matar Received the Women Awards- Middle East 2013,
MEDICINE & HEALTHCARE, the 3rd PetrochemGR8!, The awards recognize
the contribution of Indian women, and is an initiative by Indian Television
Academy & GR8! Magazine.
- Dr. Matar ranked 60 among the 100 most powerful Arab women in Since
Sector and she selected among the 11 Most Powerful Emirati women of year
- 2012: Received the L'Officiel Arab Woman Awards 2012, Dubai in Medical,
- Dr. Mariam Matar selected among the 100 most powerful Arab woman has
been ranked 83 of the list of "100 most powerful Arab woman" launched by
the magazine "Arabian Business" in 2012 and the first Emirati powerful woman
and fourth on the Arab world in science for 2012
- As befell Dr. Mariam Matar ranked (13) within the 28 world's most influential
in the Arab world in 2012 at the Arab level in the list of Arabian Business,
dissolved ranked (164) for the most powerful 500 Arab figure (500 character
most influential in the Arab world for the year 2012), on 26th June, 2012.
- Her abilities also honored her to be the First Women to be a Board Member
of Global Strategic Initiative on Advanced Radiation Medical Science,
Vienna/Austria (NGO GSI-ARMS).
- Dr.Maryam was selected by the Arab League's Scientific and Humanitarian
Development Program of the Arab Women Organization (AWO) 2012-2013 as
an Ambassador of Goodwill for Women and Children in the Arab world.
- Furthermore, Dr. Matar currently holds many distinguished positions
includingDeputy Chairperson of Dubai Cares, the Founder & Chairperson of
the UAE Genetic Diseases Association, which has achieved under her leadership outstanding successes, such as scanning more than 13,000 students
for early detection of genetic blood diseases, and creating a database of
11,380 Emiratis for the UAE's most prevalent genetic blood disorders. The
UAEGDA has also succeeded in launching a free clinic in Jumeirah&
manufacturing of MANAL Medicine, and the Chairperson of Youth in Action,
also receiving international accreditation from the University of Yamaguchi in
Japan and NEQAS in English and the Emirates Authority for Standardization
as well as the membership of HUGO and TIFF.
- In addition, Dr.Maryam holds several posts including the Board Member of
Damas International, Dubai Women Establishment, and Board Member of the
Marriage Fund for 4 years.
- In 2008, First Emirati Womanto be entrusted as Director General within the
Government of Dubai. Dr. Maryam Matar held the post of Director General of
the Community Development Authority (CDA), which undertakes the
responsibilities of formulating and delivering social policies and services that
are in line and contribute to the achievement of the social development
objectives of Dubai's Strategic Plan 2007 – 2015, as launched by H.H. Sheikh
Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum. During that time, Dr. Matar was the team
leader of the executive team that set up social development strategies for
Dubai Strategic Plan.
- Dr. Maryam Matar is also the First Emirati woman to bear the title
Undersecretary to the Minister of Health in 2006, during which she worked
on designing blueprints for Primary and Public Health care sector and
implementing it. Moreover, she launched a number of initiatives to deliver
Primary Health Care services in the Northern Emirates and increase thenumber of PHC centers from 52 to 79 in less than one year and to get the
smoking ban low with major modifications of the fitness screening low.
- During her career, Dr. Maryam Matar was assigned to different high profile
positions including Head of Community Studies and Programs Section2002,
Primary Health Care within the Department of Health and Medical services, and Medical Advisor for the Treatment Abroad Advisory Committee 2005
(Customs and Free Zone Corporation).
- Throughout her career, Dr. Maryam Matar received many awards annually
from 1999 to 2012, for example: H.H Sheikh Rashid "Academic Excellence"
Award in 1999 and the award for Best Health Care Project among UAE's
Higher Colleges of Technology in 2002, in addition to the "Distinguished
Employee" award from Dubai's Government Excellence Program in the
Department of Health and Medical Services in 2003. She was also awarded
"Best community project" in 2004 in Mohammed Bin Rashid Program for
Leadership Development, and the award for Emirates Business Women Award
in 2005, 2007 & 2008.
- Dr. Mariam Matar honored by His Highness Sheikh Humaid bin Rashid Al
Nuaimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Ajman, the spectrum within the
program selected to be the Heroes of Healthcare in Gulf Medical University,
Ajman on March 13, 2013
- She is currently finishing her PHD Research in common blood Genetics disease
in UAE from Yamaguchi University in Japan, with 11,380 samples from the
U.A.E. Nationals, and hopes to achieve even more success in collecting
evidence based data & statistics about prevalence genetic diseases
throughout the UAE.
Back to Conference Speakers